Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sometimes you just need to be sick

...which I am, coincidentally, and I'm taking the day off. I'm going to lounge around my dorm room napping and watching football and trying not to hack up a lung. Also I might venture to the Huddle for food at some point (or, if I'm feeling really adventurous, the dining hall), but that's sort of secondary to the napping and the cough drops. (Although if I run out of cough drops...off to the Huddle I go for more. I go through cough drops like a FIEND when I'm sick. It's really not healthy. I really don't care.)

Anyway, I was thinking this morning during that haze between awake and sleep (after I'd given up trying to remember this completely amazing dream I was having) that sometimes it's really good to be sick. Not the kind of sick where you're dying, or the kind of sick where you feel so shitty you literally cannot move or whatever...but the kind of sick where you definitely need to just stay home and take care of yourself.

I remember being sick in elementary school. That was the best. Not the being sick part, but the being able to stay home all day and just kind of...veg. Stay in bed a long time, read a good book, curl up on the couch and watch TV or movies or whatever and just kind of...tune out of the world for a while. And especially with elementary school...it's not like there were huge consequences for missing a day. I feel like there weren't a lot of days I NEEDED to be at school for something...and even if I did, whatever, it was elementary school, not the MCAT or something. And when you're little it's really hard to be sick and just tough it out and get on with things, which people tend to do a lot more later when their lives feel more crucial and important.

But you know what, maybe that's a bad thing. Being sick, I think (aside from all that scientific mumbo-jumbo about viruses and whatnot), is part of our body's way of telling us to slow down. I feel like I don't get sick very often, and when I do, it's usually because I haven't been sleeping enough and I haven't been eating well and I've been stressed out. (All these things, coincidentally, happen at school all the time.)

So I'm sick now and I'm going to take this day to just chill out. I'm going to try to ingest some vitamins and drink plenty of water and sleep some more and start my readings for class earlier in the day so I'm not trying to cram it all in after ten o'clock at night.

And it's going to be good.




In other news....

Michigan State 31, Notre Dame 14

Can't even describe my feelings about Notre Dame football. John Sullivan's injury was deeply unfortunate and may have sent our offense reeling backwards for the rest of the game, although of course I didn't notice if he was ever put back in. (Anyone know?)

We have to win all the rest of our games except one (which we can pretty much count as USC, I think, though I always hope to kick the crap out of the Trojans) to even think about getting into a bowl game. I don't think this is going to happen. I can only hope, at this point, that we're going to win all our games in November, but October...UCLA, Boston College, and USC. The best we're going to get is 2 out of 3, though at this point I guess the Irish are hoping for even one out of three. Or just one...one win...

I don't want to go the month of September without a single W on the board...or without a score higher than 14. (Unless the score is 14-10. Then, I guess...okay.) It's sick that we're now overly excited about first downs and I overhear people talking about "just hoping for a respectable loss, 10 points or less." Well, you know what? No. That's not good enough. I don't hope for losses, ever. Sometimes I anticipate them, but that's not going to stop me from hoping for the miraculous.

You know what, if we're going to be pussies and just pull out of the game fourth quarter with tons of time left, then let's just be pussies against all the teams the rest of the season...except USC. Let's just start game planning for that now. Get the team good and conditioned and hitting people, and let's just make the game plan for every week the same game plan we're going to use against USC, only we're not going to tell anybody about it and maybe our offense will shoot itself in the foot so many times no one will even be able to tell WHAT our game plan is, but you know what, that's okay, because if we make it to October and we kick the ever-loving poo out of the Trojans, then who cares? Let's just beat USC and Navy and we can pretty much call it a season.

Because right now, it's hard to tell what the hell the team is doing and I'm starting to lose confidence that they're going to give us much more than that.

I'm also way past the point where I can give anything remotely resembling football analysis, so let's just say I'm lost and confused and frustrated and pissed off and disappointed and (as has been mentioned before) ready for a nice long nap.

I don't know what the coaching staff's plan is for this week, but they better find something, and soon, because this is ridiculous. It's not even really about winning, although it is humiliating to be so awful. It's about playing the game, damn it, and playing it all the way through to the end, and playing it as a TEAM, and playing it with heart.

And right now....are we even doing that?

No comments:

Post a Comment